A call to action is an invite to members of your target audience to engage with your business in some way, shape, or form. Calls to action support a variety of business goals and increase the effectiveness of your marketing activities such as Facebook advertising and SEM campaigns.
The call to action ultimately gets distilled down to one instruction, action, or button, but is presented among supporting information that clarifies and encourages that action. These call to action phrases may be sprinkled throughout the material you are presenting. In this post we’ll go over call to action phrases for various types of activities you do to grow your business.
A lead is a person that has expressed interest in your business, and has the potential to become a customer. Lead generation is the use of various methods to capture the interest of your target audience members, as well as some form of contact information so you that you can follow up with them or continue engagement with them.
There are many ways to generate leads, but one of the most common methods is that of offering something in exchange for a person’s contact information. That offer could be a discount, free trial, or free piece of content. The offer can be displayed in an email, social media post, or search engine marketing ad.
Examples of call to action phrases for lead generation include:
• Try it free for 14 days. No credit card required
• Get 20% off of first purchase—enter your email now!
• First time home buyer seminar! Sign up for insider tips!
• 5 Ways to Make Your Grass Greener! Download the Lawn Care guide!
Email marketing can be a great way to keep your business top of mind and to nurture leads. In order to reap the benefits of this marketing strategy, you need recipients for your emails! One way to build your email list is to place calls to action on your website, business blog, and other publications that ask for users’ emails. Users provide email addresses directly on that site or on landing pages the button leads to.
Examples of call to action phrases for email list building include:
• Get in on exclusive deals and offers! Join our email list today.
• Stay on top of the latest trends. Sign up for our email newsletter.
• Looking for expert tips and tricks? Subscribe to our blog.
• Free resources. Delivered right to your inbox. Join today.
• Join the 2 million+ people who get our newsletter weekly. Enter your email below.
• Subscribe to our email newsletter for useful tips, sent out every Wednesday.
Oftentimes, there will be more than one call to action for lead generation or lead nurturing campaigns. For example, you may have an offer on your homepage for a free resource, and a call to action to “download the free eBook”. However, performing that call to action leads to a good landing page with a form that visitors fill out in order to obtain the offer.
For submitting the form, you don’t want your call to action to simply be “submit”. It is a landing page best practice to reiterate the offer and maintain the tone and enthusiasm of your original call to action.
Examples of call to action phrases for form submission include:
• It’s easy. Just fill out the form and we’ll give you a call.
Then at the bottom of the form, the submit button can read “Contact Me”
• Claim your 20% off discount now! Fill out the form and it’s all yours.
Then at the bottom of the form, the submit button can read “I’m ready to get 20% off”.
• Get started now! Sign up in 60 seconds.
Then at the bottom of the form, the submit button can read “Start my free account”.
• Fill out this form in order to get company updates and exclusive deals.
Then at the bottom of the form, the submit button can read “Sign me up!”
Putting out relevant, useful content to your audience is a great way to show your industry expertise and thought leadership—not to mention capture leads if the content download requires a contact form submission. If you use social media to promote your content, extend your reach even further by asking readers to share your content in their social networks. However, rather than vaguely and plainly asking readers to “share”, inject some excitement and personality into your call to action phrase.
Examples of call to action phrases for social sharing include:
• Like what you’re reading? Share with your friends on Facebook!
• Spread the love! Retweet this coupon.
• Find this guide informative? Share it with your colleagues on LinkedIn!
Sometimes, the main purpose in calling a user to act is simply for them to learn more about your business. You might call new visitors to your business website to learn more about the services you offer; you might call existing customers to learn about a new product you’ve launched; or you might want to help visitors learn which plan is best for them. Calls to action aren’t limited to lead generation and lead nurturing. They can simply be used for helping a person to get better acquainted with your business.
Examples of call to action phrases for learning more include:
• We can help you no matter what stage you’re at. Click to explore our packages.
• We accommodate budgets of many sizes. View our pricing plans.
• Fast service with no booking fee. Learn how it works!
• We service hybrid vehicles too! See our list of services.
• An eco-friendly roof is the way to go! Discover the benefits here.
Events are a great way to build your network, generate leads, and strengthen your ties with your community. Promote your event through social channels, via email, or on your website; and use registrations, RSVP’s, and signups to increase attendance and gather the information you need to plan for the event.
Examples of call to action phrases for an event include:
• Get your early bird discount!
• Register now, only a few spots left!
• RSVP by December 19th.
• Don’t get left out!
• Save your spot and sign up today!
• Get your ticket, it’s free!
• Claim your ticket now and get $2 off.
These call to action phrases not only inspire users to act, but provide them with the information they need in order to act.
Call to action phrases are used to support the ultimate action you want users to take, by specifying the action to be taken, reinforcing the benefits of acting, reiterating the offer, and adding elements of urgency and relevance. Use call to action phrases to drive members of your target audience to act in a way that both benefits them and supports your business growth.